info

At age 11 and out of the blue, Jimmy lost his balance. His diagnosis is Acute Cerebellar Ataxia. He is currently wheelchair bound and we are working hard to find whatever it is that we need to fix. Here's where I'll try to keep everyone in the loop about what's going on.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday, June 13

Whew, it's been a busy weekend!

Jimmy is doing fine, getting around pretty well with the walker, trying feats of unparalleled risk and fear in the backyard with a tumbling mat and his wheelchair.

He enjoyed the roller coaster at Seaworld about fifty times on Friday night, I kept thinking about how I'd been scared to let him ride the little coasters at Legoland when we went on that first outing in the wheelchair. That was about five years ago, right? I was so afraid of making things worse at that time, worried that the force of the rides would knock another screw loose! Now I've just thrown my hands up, what possible harm could it do?

That logic was most likely at play when I agreed - albeit begrudgingly - to let the boy go ahead and try out the bouncey house at a weird little festival we stumbled upon down at Qualcomm on Saturday. Please recall that this very same child fractured his tibia in a bounce house when he was five. Yep, broke his leg on all the air in there. So I was sort of anxious about letting him do it, but he and his sister wore me down. As soon as they both emerged uninjured, I was really glad I'd said yes.

It took Jimmy about 12 seconds to figure out that he could get enough momentum bouncing on his knees to do flips. And then he just went nuts, throwing himself around the thing like he was a sock in the drier. He got up on his feet and jumped with all of his might, bouncing off the walls and hooting and hollering and having the time of his life! I figure if nothing else, it was good Physical Therapy, right? But can you imagine if he broke his leg and I had to bring him to the ER and explain everything?

We are back to waiting for approval to continue PT, he has two sessions scheduled this week, along with an EEG on Thursday. I've received conflicting information about instructions for the EEG. When it was ordered, the doctor said that it would be done when he was awake, but I've gotten three seperate instructions that tell me that he needs to be able to sleep for the test, so I should put him to bed at midnight and wake him up at 4am. Craziness. I spoke to someone from the office who assures me that we'll get it sorted out before Wednesday, and we've got an appointment scheduled for the 28th to go over the results.

So, on we roll! Wasn't it great to see the sun this weekend? Enough with the June gloom, bring on beach weather!

4 comments:

  1. Bouncy houses, roller coasters, and wheelchair gymnastics? Sounds like an excellent weekend!

    Hey, wasn't Sea World closed to the public Friday night??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who you calling "the public"????? And yes, it was. We won tickets at a street fair, it was the summer nights kick off party. I LOVE that cirque de la mer show :)

    I forgot to mention that he and clara swam ALL DAY yesterday. It was a great weekend, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so surprised to see the link to this blog on WB's (that's Wild Bill's) facebook page. I sure do wish i had some words of wisdom to impart, but as you already know. i am not a wise man. i will say this, give him lots of love and all will work its self out. (maybe he has potatoes growing in his ear)
    keep us posted and we will hope for the best for him! afterall, he has great parents so he is in good hands!

    Love,
    Duke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bouncy houses, roller coasters, wheelchair gymnastics and swimming. And throwing his sister around in the pool, according to a text I received Sunday night.

    You sound great, Jacquie. Love hearing every update.

    xxEllie

    ReplyDelete